Monday, February 16, 2015

Still Life with Wool

I asked for a few hours to myself today to get some knitting and other things done and ended up with an empty house for 6 hours. Woah. What is a mom to do with such a bountiful blessing??

I knit. Of course. (Duh) and did several other things knitting-related.
Above is some Berroco Blackstone Tweed on it's way to becoming owl mittens. I'm going to try something new and knit my usual owl mitten pattern but instead of casting off all stitches and sewing the mitten up I'm going to cast off only half then knit a triangle to be folded over the mitten to look like an owl face. I saw something like it on the internet but it involved knitting the mittens in the round. I know lots of people prefer to knit their mittens in the round and I've tried but old habits die hard. I'm a 2 needle mitten girl.
Yes, I'm knitting a blue owl. Part of me, the type A part says this is ludicrous. Owls are not blue. Owls are brown or white or grey or some combination thereof. Not blue.
The creative hippy side of me says why not blue owls?? Is there a law that says owls can't be blue?! In my mind I see a lovely pair of tweedy blue owls with orange beaks and piercing white and orangey eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment