Monday, March 9, 2015

They were there but now they're gone

You may have noticed the ads on my blog over the last couple of weeks. It was something I wanted to try to see if it would bring in a bit of money. So many other bloggers use them so it must be worth it, right?
Not so much.
I didn't like the way it cluttered up my blog. I felt like I was selling my soul to the advertising people in exchange for what amounted to coffee money. I don't like the tricks people play to try to get you to buy things-the upselling, the mind games etc. If people are going to buy something with their hard earned money they should want it and actually need it. I thought if I could control the ads then it would be ok but it hasn't sat right with me.
So I am staging a one woman Rebellion Against Media and have canceled my Google AdSense account. They can take their $1.52 and go buy their own coffee. I'm good thanks.
Now, if a business I believed in asked me if they could place an ad on my blog I would still say yes. Helping people to live their dream of creating and selling a product or service by saying this thing you have created is awesome, I support you and y'all should check this thing out is different and I'm all for doing that.
It's about simplifying things and being true to your values.

No comments:

Post a Comment