Thursday, March 26, 2015

Creativity

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of the people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.
~Sophia Loren
While I'm not looking for a fountain of youth or particularly concerned with defeating age at 38, I do know I feel more alive and awake when I tap into my creativity.
Ginny wrote the other day on Small Things blog about the importance of finding our own passions as moms and I can't agree more. Creativity makes us be the individuals we are rather than blending into the crowd wearing the same clothes as everyone else, watching too much tv and buying too much stuff to fill our houses and the empty spaces in our hearts that creativity is meant to fill.
I believe that every woman is creative in her own way. Creativity comes in all forms including knitting, sewing, scrap-booking, painting, gardening, making a home beautiful, cooking, singing and making music.
Creativity helps us work through the dark places in our lives either by expressing it or allowing our minds to wander while our hands are busy, working through the issue.
If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that Thursday nights are my night off from parenting and cleaning duties. Most nights I come down to my corner of the basement and am seized by the need to MAKE SOMETHING. I don't know what that thing is but I do know I need to make it. One of my favourite quotes that I found on Pinterest says "I wanna make stuff even if no one cares". That's me.
I've been poking around the blogosphere the last few days and keep coming across the same angst, the same searching from souls everywhere looking for SOMETHING. Isn't it funny how we're all searching? Spring seems to bring that out in us doesn't us? Everyone is fluffing up their feathers and nests, turning in circles looking for the comfortable place to settle down into again.
The message I keep getting is "Follow your Passions". I'm taking it as a sign to focus on getting creative and getting outside. In two month's time we open our cottage for the season. It is my very favourite place on the earth.
So I too am searching for a way to combine my passions and see where they lead me. I am also seeking to reinvent myself as an entrepreneur and that certainly involves creativity and using some muscles I didn't even know I had.
Are you feeling the universal restlessness? Are you often seized by the soulful need to MAKE SOMETHING? What are you doing about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment