Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A very small everyday miracle on an average Tuesday

I've been writing a blog post in my head since I got home at 5pm. I had all sorts of things to say but it's 9:10pm and I am tired and now I find myself staring at this blank page, unable to remember any of the witty, thought-provoking things I had been meaning to type 4 hours ago.
Since 5pm I have scoured fridges, cupboards and cookbooks seeking something to make for dinner with what we have on hand. It's 2 days till payday and grocery day and things are looking pretty empty. I settled on Empty the Fridge Nachos-a recipe recently invented by me ;). It involves dumping the contents of a half empty bag of organic, low-salt, gluten-free, blue tortilla chips on a baking sheet, toping it with the cup of black beans left over in the fridge from something else and covering the whole mess in mozzarella cheese. This goes under the broiler to get all nice and melty while I frantically root through the fridges looking for something (anything) to flesh it out with. I found one orange pepper which got chopped up and put in a bowl. Not everyone in this house appreciates the value of a crisp orange pepper so making it optional seemed like the right thing to do. Next I discovered a slightly brown half an avocado languishing near the back of the fridge in a forgotten container and (miracle of miracles!!) another whole, ripe avocado. That went into the food processor along with a glug of olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, a clove of garlic, bit of chopped onion and salt and pepper. Voila! guacamole! By then the cheese on the tortilla chip-bean situation was nice and melty so I put it on the table with my loaves-and-fishes toppings of peppers and guacamole plus a half empty jar of salsa.
This whole meal started as a bit of a panic but ended up a success. The only thing left was a lone bean and a microscopic pile of crumbs in the corner of the pan. Not bad for no plan.
My son said the nicest thing about my guacamole (which he normally does not go for). He said he likes guacamole because it reminds him of summer and being at the cottage because we eat it so often there. I had no idea that was true! You spend your kids' childhoods providing them with all sorts of experiences and the thing they remember is something random like guacamole!
After dinner I dealt with dishes, a load of laundry, a herd of kids migrating in and out of the house and I knit one row on my daughter's sweater. Not exactly witty or thought-provoking stuff but it's real-life stuff and probably sounds more like a normal Tuesday than if I starting telling you my thoughts on how to achieve world peace.
Tell me, what did your Tuesday look like? Tell me the nitty-gritty details that made up an average Tuesday in an average person's life. Why? Because it's real and lets the rest of us feel like not everybody lives in a Pinterest board house with model children and a smiling spouse, washing dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment