Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Knitting, Painting and Branching out

Yarning Along with Ginny today at Small Things.
My apologies for the silence here the past few days. Lots going on at our house including planting, painting and some knitting.


I've recently rediscovered my love for water-colour painting and have been illustrating some quotes for my Etsy shop which I'm hoping to open soon. I'll keep you posted on that one.

In between a doctor's appointment and a trip to the kids' school I'm planning on sneaking over to my local yarn store, Shall we Knit for some time with other wools. I've been itching to visit but haven't had the chance in awhile. I've been knitting little grey mittens lately out of Lion Brand's Vanna's choice acrylic. I don't normally love acrylic but this is so soft and nice to work with. Knitting with acrylic usually reminds me of those nasty bright red slippers of the 80's before wool got nice.
The finished product is intended for small people and knowing how often one needs to wash little mittens this seemed like the right choice. I use an easy pattern out of an old Red Heart booklet I picked up when Zellers was still a store.

I'm working with 4mm/US 6 needles for these mittens which is a bit small as far as gauge goes but it knits up a nice, tight fabric which will be extra warm, I figure.

At the top of my stack of reading is Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies right now. Etsy is pretty self-explanatory but I struggle with what to put where and being the perfectionist that I am I don't want to write the "wrong thing" and want it to be perfect the first time. Which is why it is taking me a month to open up what should be a simple Etsy shop. I am my own worst enemy sometimes. I also found a copy of Taproot at our local, independant bookstore. I love, love, love this magazine.
The mittens will find their way to Uxbride, ON in November for Trinity United church's Christmas Craft Sale. You can look for me there if you're in the area (and remember in 6 months' time) The popularity of my friend's crocheted animal hats has inspired me to try mittens.
Not a stretch as I could knit mittens all day.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the etsy shop, I too have been thinking about going down the line but have been hesitating I don't know why. Love the colour of the mittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the good wishes. I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained-it's just finding the time to put all the pieces together to make it happen. It looks like you're pretty busy with the good work you're doing already :)

      Delete