Monday, April 21, 2014

A Manifesto for Summer

Today was a good day. 
Being Easter Monday and a school holiday I was able to stay at home with the kids. I wish I could bottle this day especially after the disorder of yesterday.
My favourite part was when the 3 of us peacefully sat at the kitchen table painting watercolour paintings.
At some point The Boy went off on his bike to check out what was going on in the neighbourhood while The Em-ster helped her aunt with some yard work. To celebrate my time without kids I cleaned bathrooms. While not earth-shattering I do like the satisfaction of a clean bathroom and a spit-free mirror.
I nipped out after His Lordship came home from work and bought snap pea, bean, onion and cucumber seeds. I always buy my seeds from the Home Hardware in town that doubles as the outlet for the Ontario Seed company. I don't know or care, really at this point about the quality or how high the yields are, I just like buying my seeds locally and I love buying them from the Home Hardware on the main street of my city. It reminds me of living in a small town again.
After dinner and dishes I planted 2 rows of snap peas and a row of spring onions. Man is that satisfying! I'm hoping our population of squirrels stays away from the seeds. 
I also sat out on my front stoop watching the evening fall and promised myself this year I would do more of the stuff that matters. So here is my manifesto for summer:
1. I will do more front stoop sittin'
2. I will weed and water and watch my garden grow with good food for us to eat instead of the weeds of years past.
3. I will take my daughter to the park more often instead of saying I am too busy
4. I will slow down and enjoy the warm and sunshine and life outdoors.
5. I will eat more meals outside (at least before the mosquitos and wasps find us)
6. I will can and freeze more of this summer's produce to enjoy when the snow is blowing around the house and I want to remember the day we picked strawberries and I made jam.
Do you have a Manifesto for Summer? Please share it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment