Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Stories We Tell...about Knitting

My grandmother has been a knitter ever since I can remember. We lived 2 hours away from my grandparents so I didn't see them often but when I did spend time with them it was always like being in an exotic land. They lived in Toronto and I lived up north, first near Barrie then outside of Gravenhurst. Both very rural places. When I came to Toronto I came with wide eyes, seeing all the people and cars and buildings. I remember she had a cupboard full of cereal (we got one choice at my house) and she always had Special K. There isn't much exciting about Special K but at her house it tasted like something special.
My mom would drop my brother and I off in the morning and go to the mall BY HERSELF for a few hours. I didn't understand why on earth she'd want to go to the mall anyway and certainly not BY HERSELF.
Now that I have kids I understand.
My grandmother would drive us to meet her at the mall for lunch at Simpsons (maybe Sears? but either way, it was a restaurant with tablecloths) and I remember jello cut in cubes and served with whipped cream. This is the epitome of gourmet when you are 7. Mom usually bought us a new book to share and that felt pretty decadent. We didn't get new things unless it was Christmas or our birthdays.
So, I remember my grandmother was always a knitter. She rotated every Christmas making all us cousins those nordic sweaters everyone had in the 80's with a yoke collar and different coloured patterns circling the yoke. I loved them because I knew somehow it had taken her hours of work to make this sweater and she had made it JUST FOR ME.
I saved a few of the sweaters and my kids wear them now. The Em-ster lives in hers.

A few years ago my grandma gave up knitting. The arthritis in her fingers was getting too bad and she couldn't make the needles do what she wanted them to. I visited her one winter looking for some advice on how to knit socks. I remember her trying to show me how to join the stitches in a round and how hard it was for her.
She gave me a lot of her supplies-old patterns from the 50's, aluminum needles, her stash of wool and a knitting bag. I use these things now and am grateful to have them. I can't afford to spend much money on knitting supplies but somehow what I need always seems to land in my lap.
I feel grateful that I am able to knit and purl and my fingers can work the wool quickly because I know one day maybe I won't be able to anymore. This is the way of things I think. Everything has a season and right now it is my season to knit and my grandmother's season to receive the knitting after so many years of giving it.



4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post and a sweet way to honour your Grandmother. My Grandmother taught me to knit as well. She has been gone for many years now but each time I pick up my needles I am linked to her by the yarn and the memories of her guiding my hands and fixing my dropped stitches.
    Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks:) I always imagine my Grandma knitting away at all those sweaters and what she might have been thinking about and how different and in some ways the same our lives are. It's a beautiful connection. You have great week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. So sweet that she was able to give to you and now you can give back to her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's satisfying being able to knit for her now. I love giving knitted gifts but knitting for a knitter is different in that they know how much time and effort and sheer love goes into it.
      Things going full circle for sure.

      Delete