Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Yarnalong: Sock Mitts & 2 Books

Joining Ginny today at Small Things blog:
Knitting: Sock Mitts for my Etsy shop. The wool I'm using is Paton's Classic Wool Worsted in Dark Grey Mix for the grey part, Aran for the cream part and Bright Red for the stripe. I'm using my old stand-by 2 needle mitten pattern and 4.0mm needles for these guys.
(you can see the first mitten in behind that still needs to be sewn up)
Reading: 2 books this week. I'm almost always reading several books at once. I'm working on Jan Karon's In the Company of Others and Kim John Payne's Simplicity Parenting. Jan Karon is one of my favourite authors. I picked this book up in a thrift store a month ago and have been reading it for a few weeks now. I only seem to find 15 minutes a day to read and usually at bedtime. 

I also checked Simplicity Parenting out of the library on Monday. I kept hearing about it, especially on Bliss Beyond Naptime and wanted to see what it was all about. With all the challenges we've been having with The Em-ster I've been searching for new ideas and this book meshes with what my gut is telling me about simplifying life. I strongly believe kids are way too scheduled and need more free time to just play and relax. Kim John Payne points out that a quirk+stress=disorder. This girl is definitely quirky in the best way possible and she is clearly stressed out by her teacher so I wonder if that's why the ADHD tendencies of inattentiveness and hyperactivity?
In other news, many thanks for your suggestions and comments from this post on what the heck to call the above mittens. The prize goes to Kimberley who said call 'em "Sock Mitts" and the name has stuck. Kimberley will be finding a pair of Sock Mitts in her mailbox very soon. I love simplicity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment