Sunday, January 18, 2015

Gratitude Sunday: bread

Joining Taryn today at Wooly Moss Roots blog for Gratitude Sunday. A time to look back on the week that was and reflect with Gratitude.
Today's big undertaking-bread. I've made bread in the past using a recipe from More with Less, compiled by Doris Janzen Longacre and the results have been ok but not great. This afternoon I used Edna Staebler's recipe from her 1968 cookbook Food That Really Schmecks. It's called Neil Harbour White Bread and it turned out perfectly. Edna Staebler is a pretty big deal around here. She wrote a number of chatty cookbooks based on her Mennonite upbringing. I think of her as kind of like the Elizabeth Zimmerman of the cooking world.

More to the point, this week I am feeling grateful for:
:: proper winter-if it has to be January then it should be cold and snowy and I should be wearing sweaters, knitting and sledding. I was and I did and it was good.
:: 3 meals from a $6 chicken-crockpot bbq chicken one night, leftovers for lunches and a hearty chicken stew from the bones last night
:: a job opportunity, out of the blue, working at a cafe close by that makes and sells delicious healthy food and fair trade coffee.
:: time to read
:: finding just the book we were needing on our shelf. Both kids have been having issues making and keeping friends lately and I had forgotten about picking up The Unwritten Rule of Friendship-Simple Strategies to Help your Child Make Friends by Natalie Madorsky Elman and Eileen Kennedy-Moore. I found it at our library's used book sale and bought it a little while ago thinking it sounded useful.
:: sledding yesterday. Both kids and I were in blue funks yesterday afternoon and it was The Boy who said "This sucks, let's go sledding" and I said yes. Why didn't I think of that?? A good time was had by all and when we got home again there was peace once more.
It's funny how I start out trying to think of what I'm grateful for this week and worry I will only have one or two things and before I know it, I'm up to 10. Does that happen to you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment