Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Flaming Christmas Tree, Gnomes and Turkeys

As we wrap up the holiday season here at our house I thought I'd better post some of these photos before they just seem like a strange afterthought.
My mother in law is German (East-Prussian actually) and keeps some of the old traditions alive including candles on the Christmas tree and plates of treats for everybody on Christmas Eve. Now that my kids are older and less likely to fall into the flaming Christmas tree I can finally enjoy it. So pretty.
This year she hung apples and sugar cookies on the tree.
At my parents' house, my mother has always had these little gnomes and elves decorating the corner cupboard. My brother has added a few characters he's found in his travels including the old man and woman you can see in the right-middle-ground above.
Me and the turkey (I'm the one on the left ;))
The Em-ster and I, delirious with hunger.
So, there you have it. 
Tonight once the kids are tucked in bed and the house is quiet I will carefully pack away the Christmas decorations for another year. Decorating the tree and the house is a family tradition with holiday music and hot chocolate and cookies. Undecorating everything is a job I like to do quietly and solo. It's my way of saying good-bye to another Christmas, remembering the food, family and fun from this year and years past. I make sure everything gets carefully packed up and put away. It's closure and meditation all rolled into one.
Happy New Year to you and yours. I hope this year brings you peace, many steps closer to your dreams and time to pause, reflect and simplify.






No comments:

Post a Comment