Monday, January 26, 2015

Monday Knitting and Musings

Yesterday I managed to get the first pair of my Valentine's Day mitts assembled and took photos in the brilliant sunshine we had here in south-western Ontario.

I wanted to add a little something to cheery red mittens without it being in-your-face Valentine's Day-centric and I think the little hearts and buttons do the trick. The buttons are different on each mitten and I like the eclectic effect. More original that way. I have a grey pair for kids on the needles right now. I'm trying to decide if they'll get pink hearts or purple. Stay tuned for the riveting conclusion ;)
I'm having trouble with my camera, getting it to balance out the light and dark of an object without the dark looking over-exposed. I really need to google this problem. Do you have any suggestions on what to do??
In other news, it was a busy day of driving all over the countryside for my husband and I. We drove 40 mins to meet with the doctor who has completed a learning assessment on our daughter to discuss how to present this document to the special ed department at school and get some accommodations for The Em-ster. They aren't crazy or difficult-a fidget toy to help her listen in class, someone to scribe for her and/or a reduction in the written work that she struggles so much with. Writing is hard for her and one of the things we need to do is get someone to look at the way she writes and suggest some exercises to improve it. 
In April we meet with a pediatrician to discuss how to go about testing her formally for ADD/ADHD. It will be nice to have an answer finally one way or another and a plan for dealing with whatever it is. I keep remembering what Kim John Payne says in Simplicity Parenting- a quirk+stress=a disorder. It spurs me on to continue simplifying her environment and to encourage her to get lots of fresh air and exercise. I don't expect it all to magically erase a diagnosis but I believe it might just help alleviate some of the symptoms. 
So that's what's up around here this Monday in the dead of January. Another ordinary day in an ordinary week in an ordinary month. 




No comments:

Post a Comment