Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Of Mice and Mittens-Yarning Along

Joining Ginny at Small Things blog for Yarning Along.
Last night my daughter was part of the 27th annual Kodaly choir festival here in our region. Kodaly (pronounced Ko-dai) is a method of music education developed by a Hungarian man and used in our school board to make learning music fun and effective. She was part of a huge choir, 400 children strong, accompanied by an orchestra made up of volunteers from the school board and our city's symphony.
(That's what 400 kids, a high school concert choir and an orchestra look like from the nose-bleed section. I love the guy with the "Bravo" sign. Can you see my girl-she's on the right ;))
Oh wow. It was amazing. Tears came to my eyes listening to their singing and the orchestra. Such beautiful voices and sweet songs. My favourite was the jazzed up Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham.
While waiting in line to get into the theatre I pulled out my mitten to enable patient waiting. Because we all know a knitter knitting in line is less likely to kill someone and more likely to wait patiently!
Someone in our party (who will remain nameless) was horrified that I should pull out knitting and begin knitting. Tell me-is there an etiquette rule that says that knitting in public is like picking your nose and I didn't get the memo??


(an odd picture of me. Can you see how the Holden Shawlette sparkles?? :))


To be honest I sometimes do it to start up a conversation if other knitters are in the vicinity. It's like putting out a beacon that only die-hard knitters can hear and they suddenly start looking around to find the knitter so they can ask about the project or pet the wool. Maybe it's just me with the beacon. I'm not sure...
After we were seated the mitten got to come out of it's bag again and I got the thumb gusset done while people-watching and waiting for the show to begin.



(a mouse mitten photo a la the Yarn Harlot)
I guess I was doing more people-watching than paying attention because I ended up increasing 2 more times than I should have and now I have to rip it back so I can start the thumb. Good grief.

I am reading Craft Corps by Vickie Howell. The stories of other crafty people inspire and motivate me to keep on keeping on with my own creative endeavours. I'm also still reading and working my way through The Artist's Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment