Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Good mothers whatever the circumstance

I was coming out of the library tonight with my children in tow, all worried about the rain and the rain coat I'd left in the car and my leather sandals that really shouldn't get wet. I was coming out of the library and heading across the parking lot when I heard someone saying "Ma'am! Ma'am!"Thinking I'd forgotten something I turned around and went back to the doors where a women half stood up, barely looked me in the eye and said "Ma'am, I'm trying to be a good mother but I just lost my job and my church doesn't have anything to give me and I need to buy my kids something to eat. Do you have any money?" She looked away and said "This is so embarrassing but I don't have any money for food". Oh wow. Before she had even finished I was reaching for my wallet and gave her what I had, which was only 50 cents.
I have a rule that when people ask me for money like that I don't judge. I just give them what I can. Who am I to judge? I don't know their stories and if they have the courage to ask for money my job is to give them something. I don't remember where or when I came up with this policy. It's deeply rooted in my own Christian faith. I've never felt like it was the wrong thing to do because the second part of the rule is to not judge.
The interesting part was the car ride home. Both kids discussed it in great length. My daughter who is 9, almost 10 and sensitive felt sad for the woman and hoped she would never end up like that. I told them my rules and then listened. I love to play devil's advocate in their conversations, to make them think about their assumptions and judgements so I posed a few questions occasionally. It was my son who is almost 13 who began to doubt her story halfway home. He questioned her appearance (clean clothes, make up, but stooped over) and wondered if maybe she was a drug addict and her story was just a lie to get money. Possibly, but again, our job is not to judge. It was so interesting to see my kids reactions and to plant the seed in their heads and hearts that our job is to just give and to look after the less fortunate in our society however we can. I believe God brings us these opportunities and it's our responsibility to use them well.
"I'm trying to be a good mother" aren't we all?? In whatever circumstance we've been given. We're just all trying to be good mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment