Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Knitting a Jackaroo

Attempting to join Ginny's yarnalong:
You'll have to use your imagination for this post. Bear with me here. I didn't make time yesterday during my sick day to take pictures for you and I wish I had.
Imagine there is a lovely picture of random, brown knitted sweater parts. Imagine they are a lovely marled, homespun brown of uncertain sheep-age. The wool is merino I think, brought back from Australia by my brother. He found himself at a little wool store called FibreFilia in New South Wales and left with such lovely wool-ness. And from that pile this pile of sweater pieces came to be.
The sweater is called Jackaroo from Knitty's Fall 2013 collection of patterns.
A joy to knit with just enough of a nifty stitch detail to make it interesting but not require a tonne of concentration. I finished the actual knitting awhile ago but couldn't seem to get around to blocking and finishing it all winter. My issue was that I was pretty sure the pieces were too small. I was pretty sure that my gauge was off but I was full of fear that I was right but I still wanted to live in a knitting dream world that everything would be ok once I blocked the thing. And sure enough they are way too small for the size I was supposedly knitting to. Sigh. Well, it's blocked now so I may as well finish the thing.
I just can't stand having anything unfinished lying around my house. That's not to say I don't have plenty of unfinished things-I do still live with a husband and 2 kids-and they're as yet unfinished. I just like everything all nice and done so I can move onto the next obsession with a clear conscience.
So that's what I'm knitting...or trying to finish knitting.
I'm reading back-issues of Taproot right now. I found them at my library, all slightly dog-eared. To be honest I thought I would be the only one in Kitchener-Waterloo who had ever heard of this magazine thanks to Amanda Soule's blog but clearly I am not.
I love the artwork and the little bits of poetry. It's a visual delight that magazine.
I'm also reading Debbie Macomber's Suzannah's Garden. I feel like I am about 15 years too young to read Debbie Macomber but I like her plot lines-a bit of romance for this incurable romantic but without the smut. And there are enough twists in the story to keep me reading. You've gotta love a story that casually includes references to the heroine knitting. She has a whole series of books about a wool store!
Anyhoo, that's what I'm knitting and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment