Monday, July 28, 2014

Yarn Store Road Trippin' to Shall We Knit?

Well hello there. I've been away from this space for a week enjoying or trying to enjoy cottage life. It's been one of those cold, wet summers, feeling especially so after such a long winter and I was looking forward to hot days at the cottage with lots of swimming, blueberry picking and cook-outs. Not so much but it was still nice to slow things down for a week and get back to basics. I'll treat you to some pictures and stories tomorrow. Today though:

I've had in the back of my mind for a few months a little idea for this space. I thought-wouldn't it be great to feature local yarn stores as I came across them in my travels? I should have one of those signs for the back of our car "This car brakes for yarn stores".
I wonder if many of you are the same (if anyone knows where I can get such a sign email me!)
So 2 weeks ago I put my plan into action.


Waterloo has a great yarn store called Shall We Knit? and I think the best way to kick this idea of mine off is by featuring the store in my own backyard.
The owner, Karen Crouch, and I sat down for a chat, the notes from which, filled almost 3 pages in my notebook. It was difficult for me to stay on the topic of the store itself and not go merrily off in all knitterly directions and find myself comparing favourite sock yarns and dpns vs circular needles (I think we did but that's beside the point).
She's definitely found her niche in life and it's so inspiring to talk to people who are satisfied with their work. Their energy is catchy.
Shall We Knit? (SWK?) has been in existence for 7 years, 4 of those years located in New Hamburg ON before moving to Waterloo when the opportunity came about for a bigger building. Sorry New Hamburg-we stole your yarn store.
Karen carries a multitude of different yarns including but not limited to: Cascade, Koigu, indigodragonfly, Spud and Chloe, Noro and on and on.
There is a whole room dedicated to sock knitting. Imagine my delight :)

Karen offers a host of classes from learning how to knit or crochet to advanced technique classes. You will find a room dedicated to the art of spinning, containing therein fleece and drop spindles and more. SWK? has become a destination shop for knitters and crocheters alike who travel to Waterloo just to visit the store.

Her library is extensive as Karen believes knowledge and resources are important assets to have on hand. She stays current on what's going on in the world of Ravelry, techniques like dying yarn, what colours are hot for the season and fashion trends and incorporates this info when she buys for the store.
Community is important at SWK? from the Thursday night Spin and Chat sessions to the Friday night Knit and Chat to the celebration of Worldwide Knit in Public Day. She even has an answer for local fly fishing people who come in asking about supplies for fly-tying.
So there you have it. My local yarn store. If you live near Waterloo, ON or will be passing by I encourage you to come check it out. You'll find Karen at 11 Willow Street.
You'll find me in the sock room petting the wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment