Monday, July 14, 2014

The Quilted Table Runner-a tutorial

The urge to make SOMETHING seized me about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to make something quilted to use up some of my sewing scraps and the materials had to all come from my stash, I decided. I love a challenge you see and also didn't want to spend any money if it could be helped.
This quilted table runner is what came of this crazy urge.

Not very crazy, a quilted table runner, but useful and it looks good (in my humble opinion anyway!)
I took a few pictures and thought I'd post a little tutorial in case you were interested in making your own version.
My table runner is 48" long and 16" wide. I checked out my stash and found a couple of fabrics that I thought would work together and cut a bunch of strips 16 1/2" long and either 2 or 3" wide.

I alternated plain and patterned strips and sewed them all together using a 1/4" seam.
Once I had the top sheet sewn I ironed all the seams flat in the direction of the darker fabric so that you can't see a shadow of the extra fabric from the right side.

I used a piece of natural cotton batting I had lying around and laid the top sheet on top and cut the batting to fit.
Next I found a piece of fabric to use as the backing. It doesn't matter what you choose as you won't be able to see the backing fabric when the quilted side is up. I had some denim with cherries all over it so I used that.
I pinned all the layers together and starting in the middle I used the "stitch in the ditch" method of quilting it using my sewing machine.

*Stitch in the ditch just means you quilt along the seams of the top sheet so you don't actually see the quilting stitches.
You can use whatever method of quilting you like and be a little fancier than I was if the spirit moves you.
Next trim all the edges clean so the layers are even.
I made my own bias tape for the binding using some navy flannel I had, cut into 2" strips.
Use your iron to iron the strips in half, then open them up and iron each raw edge so it folds into the middle.
Make you strips long enough to go the whole length of each side with an inch hanging over the edges. You can sew pieces together to make it long enough.
Open up one fold of your bias tape and with the backing side of your table runner facing you, pin it to the edge, raw edges even.
Sew along the fold line you ironed into the bias tape. Do this for two opposing sides of the runner.
Trim the 3 layers of the runner (not the bias tape) to about 1/8" from the seam.

With the right side of the runner facing you, fold the bias tape over and pin it in place to cover up the raw edges. Hand sew this seam using an invisible stitch. Trim the excess tape even with the runner.
(you can kind of see the end of the binding tape sticking out near the edge of the picture)
Once that's done repeat the above steps with the remaining 2 sides of the runner. On each end of these bits of bias tape, fold the raw ends in and sew.
with the backing side up
Quilted side up
Last step-admire your work. Put it on your table with a mason jar full of flowers and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.
I hope my instructions are clear and make sense. If not, let me know and I'd be happy to clarify any point.

No comments:

Post a Comment