Saturday, March 1, 2014

ups and downs

It has been a week of ups and downs my friends.
On the up side:
1. I finally sewed up and washed my stripy mittens that have been 3 months in the making. This is a sure sign that spring will finally come now that I have 2 pairs of mittens off the needles.
(my apologies for the less-than-fantastic photos-the mittens are drying on this old towel and it's 9:30pm)

2. Last night I stumbled across a pattern for a 1 hour crocheted cowl and being one who loves a challenge I began...at 10pm. The pattern called for thick wool and all I had was bright, shocking fuchsia. I crocheted like crazy and sure enough 1 hour later I had me a cowl!
(I'm thinking I should steal 2 buttons like the top button off another sweater I knit so I'm all matchy)
3. My house is clean again :)
4. I made a most fabulous lasagna with 4 different vegetables crammed into it and served it with a side salad to make sure everyone had their 5 servings of fruits of vegetables.

And on the downside:
1. I am exhausted.
2. My beautiful "That Weasley Girl" sweater I was knitting for the Em-ster? It's too (sob) small. I even knit a gauge swatch and I never knit gauge swatches because I hate knitting gauge swatches and it's still  too (sob) small. But being me, and unable to not complete anything I've started, I will finish it and then start a new one 4 sizes bigger than the pattern and my gauge swatch say it should be because I don't think I can handle this kind of disappointment and waste of knitting energy twice.
3. There has not been much in the way of peace between The Boy and the Em-ster this week. That is exhausting too.
4. I turned down a job I was really excited about but didn't pay enough to keep this growing family in groceries and hydro. Sigh.

Downside #3 was probably the hardest to deal with this week. The sibling rivalry and arguing in this house is constant it seems. I've never seen 2 children so unable to get along and so willing to find ways to drive each other absolutely crazy. The Boy will stick his face in her face and make the most irritating noises until she loses it. The Em-ster will sneak into his room and take little things that don't mean much but drive him crazy because he knows she's been in there. There are days they can't even eat dinner at the same table because the fighting is so intense.
                                                                (a rare moment of peace)
Tell me-what do you do to foster peace between siblings in your house? How do you parent two kids who are hell-bent on driving each other crazy? And what about the neuro-typical kid who perhaps has a chip on her shoulder about her brother, the Aspergian?
In the meantime-off to bed, the two of them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment