Monday, March 10, 2014

Snowshoeing in Rosseau

This past weekend we went up to my parents' house in Rosseau to drop The Boy off for the week. It's March Break in our neck of the woods and he had arranged months ago to spend the week with them. The weather was beautiful-bright and sunny and not stupid cold. I borrowed some snowshoes from work so we could do some bush-wacking.
The Em-ster was all excited to try them out but the timing of our first attempt was bad. She had just gotten into trouble with her Dad for bothering her brother. We call it "poking the bear" or instigating. If she doesn't have anything else to do she'll find him and do whatever she can to get a response. All the better if it's a full-on losing of his cool. Having just arrived after almost 4 long hours in the car I was not paying attention to what was going on and when I clued in was really just hoping it would stop on it's own. I'm an optimist you see and tired. Fat chance. Anyway, by the time she'd gotten an earful from her dad she was pretty upset. Not a good time to try new things. Lesson learned. It was one of those times where I could see it coming a mile away but was hoping the distraction of these snowshoes would be enough to set her to rights again but I should've known better. Distractions do not work with this child of mine when she is in an oppositional mood. IF she has ADHD, which I strongly suspect she does then Oppositional Defiant Disorder would be her co-morbid. This of course is my extremely unprofessional opinion!
Needless to say the first attempt resulted in a melt down and everyone giving up and going inside. Sometimes you just have to know when to give up.
The next morning after a sleep and some breakfast she said to me "Can we try the snowshoeing again? I think I understand now how they work and I want to try." That's my girl. And try again we did. Just her and I and it was lovely to be there together.

Sometimes that's what we all need-the chance to try again after some sleep and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment