Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Yarnalong: Be Simple Shawl & The Promise

Joining Ginny this week at Small Things blog for Yarnalong:
This week I've been working on easy things. My brain needs a break from serious reading and I wanted a simple, mind-less knit that I could pick up and put down quickly. The season for wool-chucking has begun and I'm sure my neighbours were wondering what in the heck I was doing this morning. But the light was so soft and there was green! I was going to go into the backyard but my neighbour has been standing in his sunroom for the past 15 mins in only his boxer briefs and I was pretty sure me out there with a camera and knitting was going to get awkward for one of us.

I found the Be Simple Shawl on Pinterest and began it using this soft, origin-unknown, Chinese wool. I took the little tag into work and asked my friend to translate it. She didn't have a lot to say but could tell me it was 30% animal and 70% something else. I suspect based on it's fuzziness it's something like angora but not wool. It's got that sparkle to it so I'm guessing it's 70% acrylic. It at least gives me some idea as to how to wash it (in cold, lay flat to dry, don't agitate it!)
The pattern is so easy and I am loving the nubby, simplicity of garter stitch. It gets finished off with a picot bind off that adds a bit of a fancy touch.
I finished The Nature Principle last week and quickly grabbed Robyn Carr's The Promise at the library on Saturday. It's about a small town in Oregon and a Physician's Assistant who takes a job there to recover from a broken relationship. It's an easy read with believable characters, a little romance and a happy ending. I love books like that. 

Ah, green and light. Spring has shown up here and I am doing my best to soak it up. Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. love that color! im going to have to check out that pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The pattern is so easy and satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Love Robin Carr! And that yarn is the prettiest pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That yarn looks nice and soft. I agree - it does look like there is a bit of angora in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos and I love the colour of that yarn.

    ReplyDelete