Monday, April 13, 2015

Weekending with Quilting/Knitting/Granola






These are the photos I was planning to use for a post on Saturday but between a dead camera battery, sheer time and energy and lack of creative juices it didn't happen. Do you ever have those blue funk days where you kind of feel like a cranky 3 year old that needs a nap but has outgrown naps and you just want to stomp your foot down and say "No and you can't make me!" I felt a bit like that over the weekend. I'm finally learning to listen to my inner cranky 3 year old and do what soothes my soul when I need to. Instead I read a book and went to bed early. I also went for a run on Saturday after dinner and that did me a world of good. Why is it so hard for mums to say this is what I need right now and you'll be fine until I'm done doing that thing? Instead we keep on and keep on.
It had been a lovely weekend here in southern Ontario with temps kissing 20C and lots of sunshine. I began on The Em-ster's quilt finally. I had cut most of the pieces out ages ago and the Spirit finally moved me to begin sewing them into a quilt. I'm starting with 9-patch squares because that seems manageable and when I have a bunch I'll start arranging them and sewing them together.
I have rules about everything including quilting and my big rule with quilting is that apart from batting, backing and thread they aren't allowed to cost me money. Pioneer women didn't run out to the local Fabricland to find coordinating fabric for the Irish Chain quilt they were making, they made do with what they had and the results were still amazing. Anything that involves that much stitching and sheer WORK is beautiful and amazing in my eyes. (Disclaimer: this is more a reflection on the state of our finances and not in any way meant to imply that I think less of quilters who go out and buy fabric and assemble breath-taking, heirloom-masterpieces. Do you hear the envy there?!)
I had to rip out the Lady Kina sweater I had been knitting with this mystery Chinese wool because it was so thick and so hard on my hands. Instead I found a simple shawl pattern and began on that. I'll post more about it on Wednesday for Yarnalong.
I also made granola (which is mostly gone and it's only Monday! Must've been a good batch) I love it sprinkled on yogurt although my stomach would disagree. It would seem that I am lactose intolerant and more's the pity. I love milk in all it's forms. Granola also works in almond milk and I fortunately enjoy it almost as much.
Laundry was hung outside the last 3 days-snowpants and mittens on Saturday then regular clothes yesterday and today. You have no idea how much joy I get out of hanging laundry on the line. I feel like I am channelling my inner homesteader. Don't even get me started on baking bread!!
I hope your weekend was restful and relaxing, productive as well as creative :)

1 comment: