Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Yarnalong: Knitting Owl Mittens & Crocheting Eyeballs

Joining Ginny today at Small Things blog for Yarnalong:
This week I've been finishing up the Minion mittens from last week. The biggest hurdle has not been so much the body of the mitten as the big ol' eyeball smack in the centre. I can crochet but it's not something I do regularly so it's been a bit of a learning curve to create a round, neat eyeball. 
Anyhoo, I've also been working on owl mittens. The main body will be brown with a squared top and that really great 1970's shag carpet-like variegated orange wool for eyes and the tufts of feather on the top of the head. 
This makes 8 pairs of finished mittens. Sort of finished. There's a cat with only ears, a blind chicken mitten and 2 pairs of Minions needing eyes and goggles. Minor details. Eek.
I've been reading Margaret Visser's The Geometry of Love . I picked it up from the library book sale in the spring. Margaret takes the Sant' Agnes church in Rome and goes over the history of the church and the meaning behind pretty much everything in the building. I'm always interested in the symbolism of churches. Everything means something it seems. If you like the history behind buildings this would be a good one for you. Margaret is a little wordy I find but it's still very readable. I put Farewell my Subaru down for now. I wasn't feeling it this week. 


1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing, I'm almost finished the owl hat that will match these mittens. Think I may have to go out and buy two brown buttons for the centre of the eyes though, as I appear to be out again. Murphy's Law of Crafting strikes again. Love the colours though!

    ReplyDelete