Friday, August 29, 2014

Transitions, Knitted Socks and Pixie Cuts

The Boy returned home to us yesterday from 4 days at his grandparents' house in the woods. He helped Grandpa fix a roof, went on a 2 hour cruise of Georgian Bay and learned that too much coffee feels really bad. 13 is an interesting age.
Today was a day of transition for him. We met with the school guidance counsellor as we do every year before school begins to go over who his teachers will be, how his schedule will look and to answer any questions he has. Mostly it will be much the same as last year as far as schedule and teachers go. The difference being this is Grade 8 and everybody is focussed on getting him ready for high school next year. Deep breath...here we go.

At home he is trying to deal with transitioning from summer to school time. It's been a difficult day with lots of acting up in the form of provoking his sister and angry outbursts directed at me. We got through it though. I've learned not to react to this behaviour and to maintain an even keel as much as possible.
The Em-ster had her hair cut at an actual hair dressers today. I've cut her hair myself since the beginning but this time she wanted a pixie cut and there was no way I was going to attempt that! It was the best $20 I spent all day. The cut looks great and she's happy. I admire her courage to let someone cut off all her hair and to look like someone completely different. She has hutzspah that's for sure!
I finished knitting the 2nd little sock to match the pair I wrote about the other day. So cute! I have to redo the Kitchner stitch I used to close the toe on the first one and then it's done. I also finished knitting another pair of animal mittens. I'm hoping to get some knitting time in this weekend to knit up some ears for the mouse mittens and find a pattern for bear ears. I'll post pics as soon as I have a pair done.

No comments:

Post a Comment