Sunday, August 17, 2014

Gratitude Sunday-truthfully and honestly

Joining Taryn today at Wooly Moss Roots blog for Gratitude Sunday:
Some Sundays I love showing up here to write about all the great things going on in my life and those Gratitude Sundays are easy. And some Sundays I resist writing this post. I think I have nothing to be grateful for-the kids are always fighting, dinner sucked, I'm stuck in my knitting trying to fix a mistake I made, blah, blah, blah. But I know that I need to be here and I know I need to make this list so I can put last week behind me and start anew this week. There is a verse in the bible somewhere that says "In all things give thanks". The writer doesn't say "In the really great things in your life give thanks", he says in ALL things. I struggle with this but I find when I do give thanks for the crummy stuff I see how they get turned around to reveal the good behind the crummy. So in that vein, I will take a deep breath and here goes:

::I am thankful that my daughter returned safe and sound from her trip to Germany and France with many great memories and souvenirs. The girl that left 2 weeks ago is not the same girl who returned home to us. There is a new level of maturity I am seeing these past few days.

:: I am thankful for the 2 days a week I still go to work because they help to keep food on our table and allow me to be at home the other days of the week.

:: I am thankful for the cooler temperatures that remind me that summer is fleeting and fall is on its way (whether I like it or not!)

:: I am thankful for the rain that fell last night during the wedding dinner we attended. It meant we stayed at our table in the tent and had great conversations with the people sharing our table and laughed so hard at times. I am thankful for the generosity and authenticity of the bride and groom. It might be the nicest, most down-to-earth wedding I have ever attended.

:: I am thankful my kids have been fighting constantly the last 2 days (I am laughing writing this because it just sounds so ridiculous and insincere) I am looking hard for the sunshine behind this cloud and I guess it came at dinner when I made everyone say something nice about each person at the table. The things my kids came up with for each other surprised me and this one activity seemed to have helped everyone move past the wrongs of the day. There. How's that?

:: I am thankful for the cupcake sitting in my fridge right now that I was given last night from the wedding. I have been saving it all day to eat once the kids are tucked away in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment