Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Indigo Notebook and the omnipresent Kirin shawl

Joining Ginny today at Small Things blog for Yarnalong:

A few weekends ago when we drove up to the cottage I got The Indigo Notebook by Laura Resau out of the library on audiobook. I've found over the years that the secret to a good long car ride is audio books. We've tried all kinds of things-games, movies, me reading to them, crayons and colouring books and it all ended in a big mess, car-sickness or me going hoarse after 3 hours of reading. Then I thought well, reading worked the best but I can't read for 4 hours straight so I began on audiobooks. We've listened to all kinds of things from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle to The Haymeadow by Gary Paulsen. I saw The Indigo Notebook in the library, figured out it was an adventure story and didn't read beyond that. After listening to it for 6 hours in the car I loved it so much I took the paper copy out of the library so I could finish the story. It's well-written and aimed at teenage girls I guess. The heroine is an intelligent, not-flaky, world-traveller who quotes Rumi and meets a 16 year old boy looking for his birth parents in Equador. I highly recommend it.

Still knitting on my Kirin shawl. Can you see the progress from row 17 of earlier posts to row 27? So far so good except for one missing stitch in the first half of this row. I think the problem is my star stitch. I think I'm knitting it wrong. I wish I had something new to show you knitting-wise but I haven't had a lot of time lately for knitting what with getting the garden planted on top of the usual day to day chores, my Etsy efforts and a new venture on the go. Life is busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment