Sunday, June 15, 2014

Gardening, Sprinkler-jumping and Gratitudes

Joining Taryn today at Wooly Moss Roots for Gratitude Sunday...
I have spent a good chunk of this weekend puttering around in the garden weeding, mulching, planting, transplanting and the like. I don't think I've enjoyed my garden as much as I have this year. Things are growing and I have this feeling that it is really important this year that this garden be productive.
I'd so like to be home and not going to work but food costs money and these growing kids of mine need to have healthy food available to them and perhaps this garden will contribute significantly to that.
(part of my garden in the background behind the Em-ster leaping through the sprinkler)

On Saturday morning we went to the market and I bought a flat of Ontario strawberries, quarts of imported blueberries and raspberries (not my favourite choice but it'll be another month before local berries are available), leeks, spinach, the most gorgeous, delicious tomatoes, radishes and-much to the dismay of the aforementioned growing children-2 bunches of asparagus. I am in love with simple meals made from local ingredients right now.

As for my list of Gratitudes:
:: rain this weekend that broke the humidity, sent temperatures down to 15C and sent the mosquitos into hiding
:: gardening without being swarmed by mosquitos
:: farmer's markets and local vegetables. I particularly favour the stalls where the people taking your money have dirt under their nails and clearly picked the vegetables the day before.
:: Ontario strawberries-so so so good! and eating them out of hand because you know you can get more and don't have to ration them out.
:: mason jars around my house full of fresh-cut flowers from around my yard
:: long-hoped for good fortune coming our way
:: giving myself a night off from working and tucking into the new Taproot magazine
Wishing you all a peaceful week full of good food, cooperative children and time to follow your passions!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you garden is growing nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) It's amazing how much it produces and I'm beginning to worry about what I'm going to do with all the potatoes if they're half as prolific as the lettuce is.

    ReplyDelete