Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Give up and knit on

There are days in this parenting game that a girl can get lost in all the chaos happening around her.
I always think in the very back of my head that one day I will figure this all out. One day I will get it together. One day I will be organized and one day I will react to every situation thrown at me with poise and calm and wisdom and the children in turn will calmly accept my words of wisdom and decrees and go on with their day. I don't know where this ridiculous idea of perfection comes from but it is my undoing.
I know on the surface that I should focus on the fact that I have the dishwasher loaded, part of the kitchen clean and muffins in the oven for lunches tomorrow. On the surface I should be happy and grateful that my daughter is out for a walk with her Oma-just one on one, getting some exercise. Unfortunately I can only focus on how UN-happy my son is that I couldn't take him on an errand he's been looking forward to all week because Oma dropped by and it's now too late to go out. Have I mentioned the joys of Asperger inflexibility in this space??? Sigh.

The only thing a girl can do at times like these is throw up her hands and knit on.
Knitting will bring on the zen I need right now.
They say knitting is the new yoga...you may have heard that one before...and I swear it is.
So I say give up on the perfect mothering crap and KNIT ON ZEN MOTHER. If I had a mantra that would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment