Thursday, February 20, 2014

When the going gets tough, the tough make muffins

Our fridge was looking pretty empty this morning when we peered in trying to figure out what to send the kids to school with for lunch. This week we've been trying to stretch the food we have until we get paid next and can go grocery shopping. The last day is always the most...interesting. Usually I can come up with something that a dietician won't faint at the sight of but today we hit a new low. To my children's delight we packed them hot dogs. In my feeble defense there was a piece of whole-grain bread to wrap the hot dog in and an apple. Sigh. We do our best and sometimes that means hot dogs in lunches and you have to deal with your inner critic who tells you if you had just planned better you could've had a meal fit for the pages of Today's Parent magazine. If only the inner critic would get off her high horse and take a look at the family finances and remember that at least they went to school with something when there are parents out there who have nothing to send.
When I got home from work this afternoon I was faced with the same dilemna only I had time on my side. When the going gets tough, the tough make muffins. And this mom whipped up a batch of Lorna's Apple Muffins from my favourite old, battered copy of Muffin Mania. As a treat to my kids I only reduced the sugar a little bit and used the cream called for in the recipe instead of the healthier milk-alternative ;)
I'll take my Mom of the Year Award now please.
I would include a picture of the finished product but they were practically inhaled and now there are only the teeny, sad ones left.
We stopped at the grocery store on the way home from picking up His Lordship from work and the cupboards now contain more than crumbs and couscous. Tomorrow's lunches: cheese bread sandwiches with shaved roast beef and lettuce, greek yogurt tubs and bananas. Much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment