Wednesday, February 12, 2014

In Praise of "Meets the Minimum Standard"

It is report card season in our neck of the woods. As the mother of one kid with Asperger's Syndrome and another kid with a suspected diagnoses not yet diagnosed my definition of a "good" report card may be somewhat different from the rest of the population. My apologies to the teaching profession but when I see "meets the minimum standard" either represented as a 3 on a rubric or a B on a report card I am thrilled. They've met the provincial average! Hallelujah! all that work and they've done it. Sure I'd love to see 4's or A's or what-have-you but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. When you are a kid and you struggle to make sense of what a teacher is asking you do, in a classroom with SO MANY distractions and you struggle with why this should matter to you in the first place meeting the minimum is monumental.
Don't be fooled, dear reader, into thinking that we are resting on our laurels here at the Threadin' Yarns household now that the reports are out and looking good. No. There will more pouring over of the comments and suggestions contained within and the figuring out of how to get the Aspergian to organize locker and binder and what to do about the kid who struggles with "showing her work". Tell me, what works for you in these areas??
While I figure that out how about some sewing and knitting pictures for you?
This would be "That Weasley Girl" sweater in Patons Classic Wool, colourway "currant" although it looks more like a warm coral to me.
My scrappy quilt. It's intended to solve the perpetual blanket shortage at the cottage and is sewn with 3.5" squares, 15 squares to a row. It needs 7 more rows, then it can finally be done. I think we're on year 3, this quilt of mine.
So now that i've figured out how to add pictures, stay tuned folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment