Saturday, February 15, 2014

Asperger's Syndrome and Silliness

When this boy of mine was first diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome I was relieved to have a name to put to the laundry list of irregular behaviours I was witnessing and trying to deal with. Once the shock of realizing I had a kid with a diagnosis wore off I researched it like crazy. I read every book I could get my hands on, googled all sorts of behaviours and tried to work all the useful information I had unearthed into my parenting strategies and ignored the ones that didn't work. The one problem I could not find any information on was the silliness that was driving us crazy. Were we the only ones facing incurable silliness with our Aspergian? Was the silliness just part of his personality and not part of being an Aspergian?? My gut told me it had to be part of the diagnosis but why couldn't I find any information on how to deal with it? Fellow Aspergian parents: this post is for you!
Silliness in my experience and incredibly unprofessional opinion is part of the syndrome. Asperger's Syndrome is an Autism Spectrum Disorder and as the word "spectrum" suggests it is wide reaching and not every kid will have incurable silliness. My kid does, as does a number of other Asperger kids I have had a chance to spend time with.
My best advice to you is to do the following:
1. Figure out the reason behind it. There's always a reason. In my case it was anxiety over a new situation or something that was worrying him.
2. Address the reason. Ask him/her what their issue is. Just like that. You have to be very direct and speak plainly with your Aspergian. If they aren't sure suggest some things that you think might be the problem. Listen to your gut.
3. Brainstorm some solutions to the problem rather than them acting out in silliness. We've tried a venting journal, talking out how to act in new situations and what the schedule is for the new situation.
4. Make sure your child's teacher has a visual schedule up in the classroom somewhere and that someone is supporting your child with transitions.

5. Give your kid lots of time outside to do gross motor activites. It helps them to work off the extra energy, will give them a sense of self-confidence because chances are you're not reprimanding them as much outside if they're loud and jumpy. Let them ride bikes, climb, roll down a hill, run around.
6. Depending on your Aspergian's tolerance for touching and whether they're hyper or hypo-sensitive try some sensory activities. Squish them in the couch cushions, play jam sandwich between another adult, give them a bin full of rice to play in. It helps. Sometimes when my guy is all tense he asks me to lean on him and when I put as much weight as I can on his back or side I can feel him relaxing.
My son is now 12 1/2 and the silliness has almost stopped. You will probably find that it will take some time for the silliness to slow down but be persistent and your child will eventually come to you and go through whatever routine you have established for when something is on their minds. Routines are so important for these kids. I've said this before but listen to your gut. Parenting is part wisdom, part understanding and part intuition.There is light at the end of the tunnel. I promise :)
(Dude in a straws and connectors plane he built one day. This silliness is the laugh-out-loud-feel-good kind-the kind you want :))

No comments:

Post a Comment